Sunday, October 4, 2009

VW's...

...make me happy.

Not all VW's, mind you, and I am no VW fanatic by any means. If you ask me what year, engine type and size, you're asking the wrong person.

I've always loved cars that are unique, and yes, old. I think I got that from my Dad. I always preferred to be tinkering with him in the garage than in the kitchen. Funny how some things don't change. I'm still trying to get used to being in the kitchen.

Most people know that I drive a VW van. Not an old bus, although Wade and I almost bought an orange pop up 1978 one a number of years back...but we already had 4 cars. I drive a 2003 VW Eurovan. With 2 kids and a big dog, I needed more space. But a Honda Odyssey just wasn't going to cut it. I needed (ok, wanted) something more unique, so my 6 month quest for a Eurovan with low miles finally ended with "our van" that we found in Boulder the day after Christmas in 2007. And it's been love ever since.

I guess that's when I became a VW fan. But mostly I just love old vintage cars, and certain VW's happen to be in the category.

Our fabulous mechanic in Greenwich, CT has been in business since the 1920's and they are third generation VW people. Why would I take my van to the brand new VW dealer just NEXT DOOR (also next to the Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, and Bentley dealerships) when I could take it to Freccia brothers and their lot full of previously-loved-old-VW's that now have weeds growing through the windows?

Exactly.

So when I picked up the van last week from her 50,000 mile massage, I took along my camera and had some fun. I'm just showing you one image, because someday when I get my little (but continuing to grow thanks to baby Gus) tushy in gear and get my new website up and running, I will also have a stock photography site where my full collection of vintage cars and trucks can be seen.

Happy driving!

No comments: