Sunday, August 23, 2009

Beverly's Collectibles

So yesterday was one of those days that tests all your relational skills you THINK you have in your marriage. Driving directions, low on gas, whining kids, and not enough food. Sound familiar? Hmmmm.

Wade was gracious enough, and willing, to drive an hour into Connecticut to go to the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in New Milford. I had read about it on a blog this last week, and it sounded fabulous! A big field with something like 300 vendors? Uh....Heaven!!!!

So the directions on the website sounded clear, but we punched in the actual address on the website into the GPS. So after about an hours drive, we drove in circles looking for this address. It ended up being a cemetery. What?????

So then we decided to back track (yet again) and try the directions that were on the website. Go 4 miles....more like 14. We were just about to give up and go completely mad when we pulled over at Beverly's Antiques and Collectibles. Surely she would know.

I walked into Beverly's, a small "house" on the side of Route 7, at about 350 square feet. Beverly was behind and the counter and greeted me with a warm smile. There was a framed picture of her and Martha Stewart on the counter and the place was packed floor to ceiling. I asked her if she knew where the Elephant Flea Market was, and of course she did! It was just a couple more miles up the road, but why was I there on a Saturday?

The flea market is on Sundays.

Hmmm. Can't wait to tell Wade that.

So I stalled in her shop for a few minutes and continued our nice conversation. I finally braved confession and broke the news to Wade. He honestly could have flipped out. It had just been THAT kind of morning. But instead, being his usual calm self, he just shrugged and suggested we eat lunch. Plus he said, "how did we...and my we I mean you...miss that little fact?" I deserved it.

So we picnicked in Beverly's parking lot and ate our PB&J's, grapes, chips and fruity snacks, then tried everything we could to keep the kids awake for the hour drive home.

It is going to be a LONG time before I ask Wade to go to a flea market with me again. :) God bless him!




No comments: