Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Day in Georgetown

On Sunday afternoon, we piled in the car and drove to Washington D.C. to join Wade for a couple days while he was there on business. It's only a 5 hour drive, depending on traffic of course, and it took us about 5 1/2. Not too bad! It started well, but then half way through New Jersey, Wade turns to me and says quite calmly, as only Wade can do.... "Kristen, we forgot the stroller."

Ugh. I, of course, proceed to panic.

What in the world am I to do with two kids in Washington D.C. for two days without a stroller???!!! My plan was to do A LOT of walking!! I had put a bit of effort into making this trip!!

So I pout for a while and get really quiet because I am so furious with myself (tends to happen when you're somewhat of a perfectionist), and then I go into what Wade likes to call "commando mode".

I called the hotel, and talked to my now favorite Marriott concierge Joseph. I explain the situation and tell him I need a double stroller for the next two days. He, of course, is more than willing to help (unlike my friends at the Home Depot this morning), and he calls me back within 15 minutes. "Kristen", he says, "I have Mary on the line waiting to help you. They have a double B.O.B stroller reserved for you, and it will only be $50 for two days." I wanted to reach through the phone and kiss him. Literally!!!!!

I get our reservation made, and we pick up the stroller at the rental shop on the way to the hotel. Glory!!!!!!!!

Now I have to say that I love my Phil & Ted stroller (as you well know Katie Schilb), but having this HUGE double wide B.O.B stroller worked so well in D.C. for kids the size of mine. Both Ava and Tyson could fully recline individually, and the sun shade covered them both completely. God bless Joseph!!!!

So the trip was redeemed, and I couldn't be happier.

Monday morning the kids and I headed over to Georgetown, which was just a short 10 minute walk from the hotel, and we found a great playground, thanks to instructions received from a very nice lady we met at breakfast. We played at the playground for a few hours, and ate our packed lunch and snacks.

It turned out to be a great morning, and I must have looked like a local with my huge stroller, because I had about 3-4 people ask me for directions while we were out strolling around.





OK, now back to Georgetown. Gorgeous!! Historic!! Beautiful!! Cha Ching!!!!!! Oh my goodness. Every street is tree lined and ohhhhh the row houses. I can't even begin to describe, and the pictures do the area NO justice. Color, brick, history, black rod iron, red doors, turquoise doors, gas lamps, ivy, painted gates, cobblestone and brick, trolley tracks, and every other house seemed to have a "national historic site" plaque on it.

I must have walked up and down every street while the kids were napping in the stroller. We even made it to the Georgetown campus, but didn't explore there too much. I wanted to keep walking through the neighborhood and peeping into people's windows. I'm terrible, I know.
















And here it is. My new best friend on wheels....

No comments: