Friday, March 20, 2009

Ode to the Granny Cart

Oh, the granny cart. What a beautiful thing! One of our greatest days in the City was two Sunday's ago when we ventured into Chinatown for our hopeful purse purchases.

After two days of carrying around heavy purses and/or backpacks and feeling like SUCH tourists, we opted for the granny cart since we knew we would be buying some larger items.

And it was a lifesaver...plus it made us look more like locals, except the only other people using granny carts in Chinatown were actually grannies who were buying their daily groceries!

Oh well.


So we headed to Chinatown and were quite successful in our purse purschases. If you ever have a chance to go to Chinatown, it's worth it. There are many ladies walking up and down the street mumbling, "Gucci, D&B, Tiffanys". If you mention you are interested, they get on their Nextel "push to talk" and give you directions to your next contact. Then you get invited into a "store", which is just a front, and we were ushered into a back hallway (behind a hidden door) and up the back secret staircase. I felt like I was in Anne Frank's house!!! And then...tah-dah! You're in a room filled with what look like amazing designer purses. Honestly, I didn't know what I was getting into.

Lord, forgive me for my Dooney & Bourke purchase.

Let's just say we had a lot of laughs that day and will have memories for a lifetime. I actually dared to ask the guy why this was so "hidden". He looked at me, and in a very thick Chinese accent, he said, "Fust time to Chinatown?" I quickly gave him my money for my giraffe print bag and kept my mouth shut for the rest of our visit.

So this picture? I'm not sure, but let's just say you can buy a bit of everything in Chinatown.



After our adventures in Chinatown, we headed to Little Italy for an amazing dinner and then found ourselves at an Italian bakery and cafe, Ferrara and sampled some amazing gelato (chocolate and raspberry were amazing) and cannoli. Wow.











2 comments:

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Uh, it's a secret cause it's illegal.

But your bag is awesome!

J.

Janna Widdifield said...

No you didn't! I can't believe you posted that booby picture of me!